The cell line is one of the very useful tools to use in research to find the answer to your questions or solution for a particular task or application. Choosing an appropriate cell line for a particular research project or application can be a challenging task. Here we list very basic criteria to select a cell line for your research project.
- Well-characterized cell line: easy to interpret results and draw a conclusion
- Scientific literature search
- Ease of experiment
- Available resources
- Cell line properties: Cell type, fast and slow-growing, expression of a gene of interest, genomic abnormalities and mutations, origin – cancer type/somatic tissue type
- Research topic
- Analysis of particular gene: Well characterize in terms of gene expression
- Gene expression analysis which involves overexpression of a gene: Transfection protocols and easy to transfect cell line
- Applications: Protein expression and purification, drug screening, applications in the pharmaceutical industry
- Culture medium – serum-supplements or serum-free medium
Was this post helpful?
Let us know if you liked the post. That’s the only way we can improve.