- A 70% (w/w) Perchloric acid is a clear colorless aqueous solution of HClO4. It can be purchased from many commercial suppliers.
- % refers to solution concentration in percentage and “(w/w)” refers to solute and solution amount given in grams (i.e., percent by weight). This means a 70% (w/w) Perchloric acid solution contains 70 g of HCLO4 per 100 g of solution.
- The density of 70% Perchloric acid solution is 1.68 g/ml at 25° C. This means the weight of the 1 ml of 70% Perchloric acid solution is 1.68 grams at 25°C.
- Molarity refers to the number of moles of the solute present in 1 litre of solution. To calculate the molarity of 70% Perchloric acid solution, you need to know how many moles of HClO4 are present in 1 liter of solution.
- In simple words, 1 mole is equal to the molecular weight of the substance. For example, 1 mole of HCLO4 is equal to 100.46 grams of HCLO4 (molecular weight = 100.46).
|Density of Perchloric acid||1.68 g/ml|
|Molecular weight of HCLO4||100.46 g/mole|
|Concentration of Perchloric acid||70% (% by mass, wt/wt)|
Step 1: Calculate the volume of 100 grams of 70% Perchloric acid solution.
The volume of 100 g of 70% Perchloric acid solution : = 59.5238 ml
Note: A 70% (w/w) Perchloric acid means 100 grams of solution contains 70 grams of HCLO4.
The volume of 100 grams of 70% Perchloric acid solution is 59.5238 ml. This means 70 grams of HCLO4 is present in 59.5238 ml of 70% Perchloric acid solution.
Step 2: Calculate how many grams of HCLO4 is present in 1000 ml of 70% Perchloric acid solution.
59.5238 ml of 70% Perchloric acid solution contains = 70 grams of HClO4
1 ml of 70% Perchloric acid solution will contain = grams of HClO4
1000 ml of 70% Perchloric acid solution will contain = = 1176.00 grams of HClO4
1000 ml of 70% Perchloric acid solution will contain 1176.00 grams of HCLO4.
Step 3: Calculate the number of moles of HCLO4 present in 1176.00 grams of HCLO4.
100.46 g of HClO4 is equal to 1 mole.
1 g of HClO4 will be equal to moles.
1176.00 grams of HCLO4 will be equal to = = 11.706 moles
Therefore, we can say that 1 liter of 70% Perchloric acid solution contains 11.706 moles of HClO4 or in other words molarity of 70% (w/w) Perchloric acid is equal to 11.706M.
Calculator – Calculate the molarity of concentrated Perchloric acid (HClO4)
HClO4 Molar Mass: 100.46 g/mole
(Change the % (w/w) concentration)
Density of Perchloric acid solution: g/ml
(Change the density)
Molarity of Perchloric acid solution: 11.706 M