- The majority of laboratory strains of E. coli are derived from E. coli K-12
- Favorite model organism to study bacterial genetics, biochemistry, and physiology
- Grow rapidly in laboratory conditions
- Browning et al., 2023. Laboratory strains of Escherichia coli K-12: things are seldom what they seem. Microb Genom. 9(2), mgen000922. PMID-36745549; Full-Text Links: Microbiologyresearch (Download PDF), PMC(Download PDF)
- Hobman et al., 2007. Laboratory strains of Escherichia coli: model citizens or deceitful delinquents growing old disgracefully? Mol Microbiol. 64(4), 881-5. PMID-17501914; Full-Text Link: Wiley (Download PDF)
- Elbing & Brent, 2019. Recipes and Tools for Culture of Escherichia coli. Curr Protoc Mol Biol. 125(1), e83. PMID-30412361; Full-Text Links: Wiley, PMC (Download PDF)
Was this post helpful?
Let us know if you liked the post. That’s the only way we can improve.